Read the article at http://ocw.mit.edu/about/our-history/
In 2007 MIT compiled a timeline of the most important milestones in its OpenCourseWare movement to date. Since then it has been updated to include more recent events. Below are a few of the most meaningful occasions.
- 1999 – MIT considered how to use the internet to fulfill their mission – to advance knowledge and educatoin students
- 2000 – Proposed OCW
- 2002 – First site with 50 courses on it
- 2004 – OCW adopted CC license
- 2005 – OCW Consortium formed
- 2007 – Virtually the entire curriculum published online
- OCW Scholar, OCW Lecture Hall launched
- What effect did MIT OCW have on the current open landscape?
- What event do you think was the most influential event for OpenCourseWare? Why?